Sunday, February 27, 2005

Alpha Males

Bad news first: I had to uninstall the sweet NASA program, World Wind, this morning. You know the dreaded blue screen. The color is not bad, but the warning that came with it gave me a start. Maybe it is Windows XP or the combination of the two. I am going to try to download and install again later. Why is it we always want what we cannot have? I wonder how many blue screen incidents I need before I learn my lesson?

Now the good news: I got my dog-wish fixed. I spent two and a half hours at the Humane Society this afternoon. They had a six month old tri-color Collie that could be a great dog in about six months. I spent some time with him, first with a volunteer, and then alone. The dog was picked up off the streets and had never been trained in any way, but he sat and stayed down for treats quickly and eagerly. When the treats ran out he chewed my shoes, my hands, and acted like he'd enjoy a wrestling match. Obviously, he knew who the Alpha male was and it wasn't me.

Maybe if my Alpha Male had been with me it would have been a different picture. The Collie would have found out he was close to the bottom of the pack pronto. Raising and training a German Shepherd 35 years ago seemed so easy; this is a sad realization for me, but will definitely be a big relief for He Who Must Be Obeyed. I'm not keen on even telling him.

No comments: