Monday, February 14, 2005

Mother-In-Law from Hell

This is what happens when Carnival and Valentine's Day very nearly coincide. I could name these three, I am the melancholy one on the left. Just click the link, you will see what I have as wallpaper today.

A family fight on the internet is akin to a food fight at a holiday table. It takes a day or two to get the mess cleaned up. I have been there, I have caused it, I have tried to clean it up. Neither one are a pretty sight.

One thing the mother of the groom should keep in mind is that not only do you keep your mouth shut and wear beige at the wedding, but I would do well to keep that in mind the rest of my life. I don't think I have but two beige things in my closet, mostly black and blue, which seems appropriate, as I feel a little bruised.

Being a mother-in-law is serious business. I never had one, so have no have no first hand knowledge of how to go about it. Over the years I have watched my own mother and husband spar at the table, right up to the month she died. Both Libras, each had the scale in their hand. I lived my entire life in that balance; the Libras of my life directing my coming and going. Each playing the part against each other. Survival was not always easy.

It was on a 12 hour drive to Omaha from my home town that my mother told me she felt it was her duty to tell people of their errors, to correct them. I can still recall the impact that made on me. God got pulled into it because it was her "God Given Duty" to do this. She was good at it, let me tell you, and she had been on that mission all her life, I think. I was easy, as she told my daughter one time, "Willo was a compliant child." I have a good idea my quiet father was one of those Myers-Briggs INFP's as well as me. But that is all history. Not quite all, I still live with a Libra.

Once I took an assertiveness class. It didn't help a whole lot. Menopause was more helpful to me; I cut my hair, knew my own mind, became semi-assertive. But I still can't say much out loud, nor do I care to dial a telephone. On the Internet, I am a loose cannon. It would be hell broken loose if I ever took the time to write a novel, not using real names of course; I have a lot of material. I am now the mother-in-law from hell. I have to put on that beige shawl again and SHUT UP.

No comments: