Thursday, February 17, 2005

Don Cammack

Don Cammack was the editor for The Buffalo Times-Herald when I grew up in Buffalo, SD. The print shop was up the street from my dad's blacksmith shop and they served together on the Buffalo Town Council. I read in the paper, now called the Nations Center News, that he had celebrated his 85th birthday a while back. More lately he had written about getting the paper put to bed during the blizzard of '48 and 49. It occurred to me he might like a copy of the book on my dad.

Today I got his letter and what a letter it was. It was so heartwarming to read of his friendship with my dad and of the things they accomplished together when the town was being organized as a city with "not a dollar to operate with." They served on the Buffalo Town Council from 1949 to 1952 and started with "three pieces of 16 ft. bridge plank spiked together in a triangle shape to be pulled behind a tractor. During those years we had a modern sewer system installed, a used grader working on the streets and tax money coming in to pay for it.

In the Arco (Idaho) Advertiser this week, the Old Inkslinger writes of recieving the book and a couple of others this winter. He closes his letter to me in part, Thanks a million, Willo, you'll never know how much you've added to an old newspaper man's life.

Thank you, Mr. Cammack, for the memories.

No comments: