Monday, April 28, 2008

Don't Interrupt

There is nothing so satisfying as a great conversation. Some people do it so well. Some folks struggle with it. I, the introvert, couldn't open my mouth for years. But when I finally found that I too, could talk; it is pretty hard to stop.

Someone is selling a book with the points of good conversation:
1. Don't interrupt.
2. Don't advise.
3. Don't one-up.

wikiHow has 12 tips for the art of conversation. The first being Listen. He Who Must Be Obeyed gets very annoyed at me as he thinks I play 20 questions with the people I talk to. It is just that I find others and their interests and activities very interesting.

The other night we had dinner with a favorite couple. I am not certain of their political party affiliation but knowing them well I tip toed into the topic of Obama and his pastor. I had read Salt's link to the Martin Marty article on Wright and listened to Bill Moyers interview with him. I said that I had discovered more than the broadcasters had shared with the world. The only person I annoyed, that I know about, was HWMBO.

The thing about what one person thinks is a great conversation is that one never knows how the rest in the discussion are perceiving it. Therein is the risk.

No comments: