Tuesday, April 22, 2008

South Dakota Magazine


This morning the South Dakota Magazine folks have highlighted the birthday of the Norwegian author, Ole E. Rolvaag, born in 1876. I didn't realize that he settled in Union County, where the first Boe family in the US came to claim the first homestead after the Civil War. The Immigrant, Andrew Boe, as a Civil War veteran, was awarded two homesteads as part of his severance package. He filed the second in the Black Hills.

I suppose every immigrant prior to the 1900's has a story that would make a movie today if they just told it. I think their humility, and not seeing themselves as heroes of the greatest magnitude, has kept most of the stories untold and unsung.

"Giant in the Earth." Truer words were never spoken.

Thanks, Bernie Hunhoff, for the sweet article on "My Father the Painter."

1 comment:

Hildred said...

Willo, - I truly enjoyed the article about your Father, the Painter. And I was especially impressed with your relationship with him, - imagine, a father who wrote letters twice a week. A real treasure. I hope you have kept at least some of his letters.....so many stories to tell.