Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Olympians on the Roof

From noon yesterday until noon today the Olympians worked on the roof. I should have taken a picture of them, knowing how I love to watch men work. These young men were phenomenal.

When the shingles came in and were delivered to the driveway, they formed a brigade in which each one of them made 15 trips up the ladder with his heavy load on one shoulder, his free hand steadying himself. Between the six they had the bundles of shingles to the peak in no time. The Olympian athletes had nothing on them; they had strength, agility, balance and grace.

He Who Must Be Obeyed was impressed, which is more meaningful than me being impressed. I am impressed with workers who simply lean on their shovels, as we sometimes see on our Omaha street maintenance crews.

They worked late, came early today, and cleaned up everything including a couple of old logs from last fall's tree trimmings! I will never say a disparaging thing about our new Omaha immigrants. If they are illegal, we are not speaking about it. Not one word. We are grateful for their skilled and cheerful labor. I just pray they live better than they ever have before. They deserve it. Gold medals all around.

Four new skylights and a new roof. Life can't get much better than that.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Hi,my name is Igor I'm from Rio de janeiro Brazil and in my blog I will tell you about my life in Brazil...
coments please...:)