Monday, August 09, 2004

Sturgis Rally Blogger

We have now been married 50 years and two days. I see that it will be clear coasting to the 51st Anniversary. It was amazing to have 13 immediate family members here for our usual Nebraska summer meal of grilled steak, sweet corn and salads.

Our youngest son came in with a white cake on lace and trimmed with little doves. My roomate of all these years called them ducks. We never had a wedding cake 50 years ago, and I have never had a cake with "Willo" written on it. First time events are good at any age. It made me happy.

The morning was beautiful and we had a back yard full of swimmers of all ages. This child-bride, now 69, was one of them. It was a joyful day indeed. My youthful groom got the shingles in spite of all the happiness. He had it diagnosed this morning. Lower right quadrant, I suppose it could go to his toes. Odd isn't it, how he has been fixing a roof leaking through the cedar shingles and now he has them.

Yes, there is a Sturgis Rally Blogger. The rally started this weekend, but my Black Hills high school friends tell me that some of them must have thought it started last week. Bill Harlan, a Rapid City Journal staff writer says in his article that he now knows how Guttenburg felt. It is nice that he will bring us pictures and text from the Sturgis rally throughout the day(s).

He goes on to say "Blogs, however, are not an arboricidal form of communication. Blogging is all done with electrons, which, according to Stephen Hawking's latest thinking, can neither be created nor destroyed, simply rearranged into an image of Britney Spears riding a chopper down Main Street in Sturgis behind a hideous, leather-jacketed Bat-faced Boy.The beauty of a blog is, I can take their picture and report it to you before an editor ever notices."

Maybe that is the beauty of the blog. It happens in a nanosecond, before He Who Must Be Obeyed notices. I don't think he has figured out how to change things in my blog. He is much too busy with two types of shingles.

If I don't sound sympathetic it is unfortunate because I am. He is too nice a guy to have both kinds. I think we are getting a new roof and four new skylights. Not exactly the kind of trip for an anniversary. Maybe it won't be all bad. I have heard this quote too many times: "It is better to live on the roof than with a nagging wife." Proverbs 21:9 Even the Bible can turn on you.


No comments: