Thursday, June 30, 2005

Checking In Before Checking Out

I love the 4th of July. It makes me feel my freedom and independence. But the personal question is freedom from what and independence for what? Coming and going are bound by money and health. One is not free with material goods. All of that needs tending, dusting and lots of admiring. I am a tied to my dirt; which by the way is a blooming wonder again with tomatoes in pots about to ripen.

I guess I need the independence to break loose from the stuff I so cherish, and simplify my life a little at a time, so when I check out completely, the remaining clutter won't complicate our grown son's lives.

Nothing we do, have, or say will ever complicate our daughter's life. There isn't much good to be said about bi-polar illness; but one thing about her she is more free and independent than any of the rest of us.

Have as free and independent a 4th of July as you can muster; tack up the 10 commandments somewhere. Print up 95 copies of them and nail them to some door.

No comments: