Sunday, June 12, 2005

Coming Up Short

On the Sundays that I don't go to church I feel the loss. No connections made, no blessed liturgy, no prayers in unison, no hymns, life becomes nothing but the laundry and the house akimbo, the left behind, and the empty feeling.

Making lists of things to do has always helped me. I did make one this morning and did put stamps and addresses on five envelopes filled with notes to some folks I need to make a connection to. Some are get well wishes, some need thanking, a birthday wish, a letter full of regret to a daughter, mentally ill and angry. I can't say enough of the right thing to any of them. Hence, coming up short.

I am tring to read what I need to regarding "Bold Women," our Lutheran Women Today study for in the morning. We are going to the Old Market and meeting at a book store. I am looking forward to seeing these compassionate friends. I should be prepared for the discussion. I am not, yet. I don't feel very bold, either.

During our evening swim, He Who Must Be Obeyed said we should have visited another church this morning. He is right, we should have. Sluggardly of us not to do anything.

Life seems hard right now for this short person, coming up short, always too short. What happened to the old days of bouncing out of bed at 5:30 a.m. because it was such a sweet time of the day to do quiet peaceful things? I miss those days of accomplishing listfulls of things to do.

No comments: