Friday, June 10, 2005

Mt. Michael Abby

It feels a little like walking on Holy Ground. I know that I am a bit too impressed; after all they are only men, albiet men called to a Benedictine way of life, in the beautiful setting near Elkhorn, NE. Brother Jerome prepared our lunch, served, cleared and washed up after the seven of us.

My retired library/media friends met at Mt. Michael Abby again for lunch yesterday. I got there a little earlier than the rest and had time to check over the books and cards sold at the Guest House. Bro. Jerome teaches art at the boarding school for boys there. His watercolored greeting cards are beautiful in their stunning simplicity.

Bro. Jerome told me he would drive into Omaha, as he does every day, to see to the needs of his mother. He is in charge of the oblates, I find on the web site. This is their life:

Called by God to serve through monastic life, we devote ourselves to:

Daily worship, study and prayer
Meaningful work
Ongoing conversion of life
Caring for one another in our monastic community
Promoting peace in the world
Extending God's Love to all through our varied gifts and ministries.

I look at that and my own life pales in comparison, and feels like chopped liver.

No comments: