Saturday, June 04, 2005

When I hear noise like rain on the plexiglass roof of the screened porch, off the kitchen, it would be hard to tell without looking if it is rain or sun heating it. Both make similar small distinct noises. Just now it is the first sun of the day and it is noon.

The pool looks inviting and it is back up to a good warmth. We will swim soon. I have taken hand weights out to use them. It was startling to discover my lack of buoyancy in swimming with both hands full of heavy metal. I fear I would be sadly lacking in any ability of life-guarding, even if I am the better swimmer of the two of us. He Who Must Be Obeyed has a shoulder problem and his legs appear useless in water. They are good to look at though and always have been.

We were on the road from 7:30 A.M. until 7:00 P.M yesterday. It is better than it sounds as we drove east from the Black Hills to Omaha and changed time zones. Even so, it is a long time. We timed eating on the road and skipped lunch, so we could stop at Elk Point, SD, at Edgar's and drank large chocolate malts on the last leg home.

The pool cover is off, the water is probably 90 degrees again, the gas bill was $120 and as far as I am concerned worth every cent. There is no way to rationalize it so I simply enjoy it several times a day.

Being in the Black Hills was a bitter-sweet experience. Being with two of the best friends in the world was heart warming. D who we overnighted with, drove K and I over back roads, flanked with emerald green grass and ponderosa pine and quaking aspen. There was one road that out one window one could see Bear Butte and out the other were those magnificant hills. It is truly sacred land.

No comments: