Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cultural Hatred

Do you ever really think about hatred? I had an 84 minute phone call from a son Friday night saying he read a lot of 'hate between the lines of my email' to the family. I was floored and very, very disturbed about the accusation. Apparently that is how I come across in my email.

As I think about hatred in our society I think that word is flung about as loosely as is the word "love." I looked up "hatred in our culture" on Google and got 12,800,000 hits. There is a lot of hate talk, hate blogs, and obviously hate.

The first 20 hits are very interesting. Don Closson in Culture Wars states that "Americans are highly polarized when it comes to issues of morality and social norms." He states "Unfortunately, in the eyes of the secular world Christians are often seen as angry, intolerant people. At school board meetings, outside abortion clinics, even at the funeral of a homosexual who was murdered because of his lifestyle, Christians are there to angrily condemn sin and it perpetrators...Although understandable, I don't believe that we are called as Christians to respond to the culture war in anger, especially anger directed at people.

In the New Testament, Paul condemns "hatred" and "fits of rage" immediately before listing the spiritual fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Closson has some good advice concerning 'righteous indignation.' I didn't react very well when I followed up the disturbing phone call three days later to ask about it again. When I learned my indignant son had been drinking when I was jammed up about my hatred, the feelings of my own righteous indignation welled up in my throat.

If I am not careful, with one foot in hell, I am going to completely slide over the edge.

No comments: