Thursday, January 31, 2008

Buffalo Soldiers

Today I recieved a photo to verify that 2,000 Buffalo Soldiers, the 9th Cavalry, from Fort Robinson in 1889, went to Camp Crook South Dakota to be instructed in plains maneuvers and Indian fighting. Who would have know it! My Aunt Liz had written about seeing the fort as a child in the early 1900's. I had to prove her correct and she was. These cavalrymen were African Americans recruited to fight Indians after the Civil War.

Lord have mercy. Be careful what you wish for. I have groaned here about being cosmically lonely. Tomorrow a son moves home. I once told a granddaughter that perhaps the test of family was loving adult children no matter what their issues were. Now I get to practice what I preach.

I would show you the 2,000 Buffalo Soldiers at Camp Crook, but the photo is a courtesy of the Nebraska State Historical Society, and I must gain permission, and pay for it, if I publish it.

No comments: