Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Casper the Ghost



A little above and to the left of Orion's Belt in the January sky is M78 aka the Casper the Ghost.

The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada does a nice job and starts The Sky This Month-January 2008 this way: "The constellation Orion is synonymous with frosty Canadian nights. With its majestic collection of bright suns and overall size, it truly owns the winter sky. Orion the Hunter...holds the deed to 594 square degrees of celestial real estate." It is an article that is lovely to read and illustrated as well. I love the winter sky. Actually I love winter...as well I should as today is my birthday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday !!!!

from
Cave Hills Kid

Unknown said...

Willo,

But a day belated, a "happy birthday" to you. Bette mentioned last night in a phone conversation that she had missed seeing you last summer, to her regret.

I appreciate your loving winter, but please concede that this year we have suffered enough of it!

Richard [Dick] Christofferson

Hildred said...

More belated birthday greetings, and thank you for the article on the Sky this Month, - Caspar and I will search this lovely Canadian sky for his ghostly counterpart.

Is it the Finnish in you that makes you love winter so? - It's the Canadian prairie's that inspire me.

Hildred