Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Church Talk and Holy Smoke

I have RealLivePreacher linked on the right side of here. He gets right to the heart of the matter with those of us that lean a little too far toward Rome. It amazes me that there are still folks out there that get skittish over words that for me elicit a lot of holiness. Maybe that isn't the right word, holy smoke, maybe. But when they have been used at you, around you, and by you they become old friends. Old friends that have lots of meaning even if they are sometimes a little hazy.

His blog entry for December 28th is written by Foy Davis. Or is it just metaphorical and this Foy guy is really RealLivePreacher. Whatever, the epiphany of Foy is meaningful for me. But maybe it is bacause I am in deep doo at church myself.


Surely the words lectionary, liturgy, Epiphany, Lent, or Ash Wednesday are not all holy smoke. I love those words. Even words like eschatological are fun to say, but I don't give the doctrine much credence. Maybe that is simply my own avoidance behavior.

I do like ephiphany a lot. If I get one occasionally I like it all the better. So far it simply means that I can procrastinate taking down the Christmas Tree until the 6th of January.

A woman might do well to forget those classes in assertiveness training. She just might use it someday. The real assertiveness class that I took 25 years ago wasn't worth the gas it took to get there. We women in the ELCA have a magazine called Lutheran Women Today and our little Miriam Circle uses it as a study guide. The last lesson was being bold with the authority. I have found out that if you are going to shoot off your mouth to the authority, you better be able to take the heat.

No comments: