Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Santa Lives in Finland

Believe it or not, Santa does live in Finland. But then we knew it all along, didn't we? I don't know how long this little news item from Good Morning America on ABC will be available. But if you click the link you will see the same sight that my mother and I saw as we visited the Sami, we called Lapps.

Yes, of course my mother really visited them as they were as fluent in Finnish as she was. And as I walked with her on the dusty streets in Innari, past a tame and wandering reindeer, she assured me, then a tender 42 years old, that they would probably not hurt us, in spite of their rather forbidding looking horns. The Sami in Norway and in Finland dressed that way when we were there. Did they do that for the occasional tourist? It didn't seem like it to we Midwest wanderers all alone in our travels that month in the land of the Midnight Sun.

So today is Winter Solstice. The old earth will take one more whirl and we will see longer days and shorter nights and we ourselves will grow just a little older and wiser.

No comments: