Friday, April 22, 2005

Center for Public Integrity

If this isn't the neatest thing! I simply had to share it with you. It is the new Google Map.

It isn't what one needs to find a city in Finland or Latvia. I found that out last night when a son called that he was leaving for Riga, Latvia and Helli, Finland on business. These are the dearest words to a mother's ears: "Can I have a copy of my Finnish immigrant grandparents and thier birthplaces before I go?"

MapQuest International is still the standard, I think.

This morning on CSPAN Brian Lamb's guest was Roberta Baskin, executive director of the Center for Public Integrity since January 2005. She indicated the web site used to be only for journalists and is now for the public with an interest in the news. She probably meant bloggers.

With 24 credit hours of undergraduate journalism and having taught news and documentary to high school television producers, I found the link to "Journalism Ethics" a nice reminder of how it is supposed to be.

Code of Ethics. Don't you love the guidelines and the safety of the boundries that they embrace? I wonder if the code is taught with the emphasis it was in the days after Yellow Journalism and before Watergate.

It is Earth Day and I am happy that the little piece of the earth that I tend and care for is clean, green and growing. What is with the link? In big headlines it has 2006. Beats me.

No comments: