Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Pondering My Own Faith

Lutheran that I am, I too have lost a Pope in John Paul II. The inordinate beauty of the last days of the Pontiff, with the devotion of the pilgrims arriving in Rome, the holy sights at the Vatican, the Cistine Ceiling, the pageantry of the days leading up to the funeral, the liturgical reading and singing from Rome were a blessing after the hell of that ghastly political death in Florida.

I remember when he was selected, but not as keenly as a dear friend's son who trained for the Priesthood in the Vatican and was there during the very short Papacy prior to John Paul II. He was there for Karol Wojtyla's selection as well. Reading history is good, living it is the best of all.
What memories Father D. must have. I have my own vivid memories of Father D's ordination and found it a Holy occasion, with Cardinals from Rome, I believe.

My Catholic friends are in my thoughts this past week. Especially a dear friend, whose cousin was Bishop of the Wichita Diocese until he was moved to Arizona to take on a great challenge there. This dear man also trained for the priesthood at the Vatican and then went on to work there for a number of years in Canon Law. Such Holy work, and a Holy Calling.

So today, I go to beliefnet and take a couple of tests. The one called "Belief-O-Matic" says I am 100% Church of Latter Day Saints. I cannot imagine it. The other one is called "What's Your Spiritual Type?" Three more points and I might have been an introverted candidate for the clergy, strange as it may seem.
The results are as follows:

What's Your Spiritual Type?
You scored 87, on a scale of 25 to 100
. Here's how to interpret your score:
25 - 29
Hardcore Skeptic -- but interested or you wouldn't be here!
30 - 39
Spiritual Dabbler -- Open to spiritual matters but far from impressed
40 - 49
Active Spiritual Seeker – Spiritual but turned off by organized religion
50 - 59
Spiritual Straddler – One foot in traditional religion, one foot in free-form spirituality
60 - 69
Old-fashioned Seeker -- Happy with my religion but searching for the right expression of it
70 - 79
Questioning Believer – You have doubts about the particulars but not the Big Stuff
80 - 89
Confident Believer – You have little doubt you’ve found the right path
90 - 100
Candidate for Clergy

No comments: